In April of 2012, James E. McWilliams wrote an article for the New York Times entitled “The Myth of Sustainable Meat” and Joel Salatin of Polyface Farm in Virginia wrote a response. This is that response.
What We Do
Big Coulee Farms is a small farm family in an ongoing journey of holistic management practices focused on developing:
- Healthy soil with abundant microbial activity
- Lush, solar-absorbing, carbon-sequestering pastures
- Bio-diversity in vegetation and wildlife
- Contented, healthy livestock, seasonally raised in balance with nature, and moved to fresh clean forage as needed
- Excellent quality, nutrient dense and tasty products
- Consistent, growing, loyal, happy, supportive and healthy customers
- Continued education in holistic management principles for ourselves, customers and community
We Specialize In:
- Pasture Raised Chicken
- Pasture Raised Turkey
- Pasture Raised Beef
- Pasture Raised Pork
- Pasture Raised Eggs
All meat products are processed in provincial inspected plants, and are frozen at the processing plant.
Truly sustainable livestock farming requires the use of a pasture-based system. Pasture-raised animals roam freely in their natural environment where they’re able to eat nutritious grasses and other plants that their bodies are adapted to digest. In addition to dramatically improving the welfare of farm animals, pasturing also helps reduce environmental damage, and yields meat, eggs and fowl that are tastier and more nutritious than foods produced on factory farms. Pasture raised livestock are above and beyond simply “organic”. Learn more about pasture raised livestock.
Big Coulee Farms uses farming practices and techniques pioneered by Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms in West Virginia. Our animals all enjoy the sun, grass and are the very definition of pasture raised.
What Our Customers Say
They had me after my first dozen Egg. Then I visited the farm and learned more about the family and how they raise their animals. Been eating their food ever since. It’s great quality, ethically raised food raised the way you think it’s supposed to be done and the flavor comes through in the final bite. I’ll always shop at Rusty’s store.
Rusty and his family feed our family.We know where our food comes from, how it is raised, and who makes it all happen.
We love BCF!
@cbSturdy, St. Albert